Designing Green with Robin Baron: How to Throw a Fab Green Party
Labor Day is on the horizon, which means that late summer parties are on the agenda. As the season comes to a close, why not mix it up by trying a “green” theme for your next event? Your guests are sure to be impressed by your commitment to the environment…not to mention your fabulous eco friendly food, drink, and décor choices! Follow these tips, and you’re good to go!
1. Cut down on paper. Save those trees! Instead of sending out paper invitations, opt for e-vites! There are many creative templates online, and most of them are highly customizable. Then, create elegant place settings for your party using organic linen or mismatched vintage napkins that can be washed and reused for your next event. These ones from Bambeco are colored with eco friendly dyes!
2. Use real dishware. I’ve been to so many parties where the trash cans overflow with paper plates by the end of the event. Using real plates and glassware not only minimizes waste, it adds an element of class! You’d be surprised at how easy it is to find inexpensive sets of plates, flatware, and glasses, both through online sites like Overstock and in-store, like at Bed Bath & Beyond. And if it’s a larger party and you’re looking to minimize dish washing later, try renting plates and glassware instead.
3. Opt for eco-friendly accessories. Incorporate chic eco friendly accessories into your party décor! Lighting is a great way to do this. Use soy based candles, solar-powered lanterns, or LED candles on tabletops for an evening party, or try repurposing glass jars or old wine bottles as vases! Think outside the box and try decorating these with ribbons, or some other interesting accessories! I find mine at Michaels Craft Store.
4. Shop local and organic. I’m all about locavorism…and your party guests will be thrilled to see that you’ve chosen local, seasonal ingredients. You can feel good not only about the great flavors, but about supporting your community! Go a step further with organic eggs and poultry, fruit and veggie platters, and sustainable seafood. Even better, try serving organic wine!
5. Be mindful about the clean-up. Ever thought of sending party-goers home with leftovers? Create fun “doggy bags” and send your guests home with a pre-packaged late night snack! You can even use chic, little favor boxes, like this one from beau-coup. Consider composting any additional leftovers, and of course, make sure to follow recycling protocol!
Try out these “green” party tips, and you’ll have twice as much to celebrate at your next event! If you want, skip the theme entirely and be an undercover “green” party thrower. Either way, you’ll be able to enjoy your party at all levels, and know that you’re lessening your impact on the environment while having fun!
Robin Baron is an interior designer and lifestyle expert based in New York City. Visit her website, www.robinbarondesign.com, and follow her on twitter @RobinBaron and Facebook.com/robinbarondesign.
See All EcoLiving Ideas
| Login to Comment
Home > EcoLiving Ideas > View
6:00pm - 9:00pm
MIST (at The Kalahari) 46 West 116th
Making Green From Green Event
Food Waste's Shocking Truths: Hunger, Business and YOU
Baruch Performing Arts Center (BPAC)
55 Lexington Ave. enter 25th St, betw Lex + 3rdInformation
April 20-21, 2013
Location: Javits Center North, New York, NY